Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Roasted Cauliflower with Vindaloo Spice & Rice with Indian Spices

The other night I felt like playing with my Indian Spice Box that I got during an Ambien night on Amazon. It is amazing and when I opened it My Living room smelled sooo exotic. http://www.amazon.com/Shantis-Spice-Box/dp/B001NZLUYG/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1329941056&sr=1-1

I don't really have recipes for these Items as it was a toss in what looks pretty ;-P

For the rice I toasted 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp dried Garlic Flakes, 1 whole dried Chile (break open if you want Spicy) & about 1/4 tsp of each of these yellow Mustard Seed, nigella seeds, white Poppy seeds, cumin seed, ground cumin, coriander seed, ground coriander . After the spices have toasted for a bit and are smelling fragrant add 1/4 C coconut oil (or Ghee or Butter even) and let the Spices infuse into the oil for a few min.  Add this to your Rice make with the makings for 3 Cups rice.  Instead of Water I used Chicken stock.  This rice came out with a really luxurious taste and texture.  Totally worth the time Toasting the spices.
 (It also goes with all kinds of Flavours. I used this with Cannelini beans & Roasted Veggies with Puttanesca Sauce both were yummy)

For the Cauliflower I used Penzy's  vindaloo spice mix, Garlic , Coconut Oil & A bit of Roasted Sesame Oil. I toasted the Spices and then melted the coconut oil and let them infuse.  I tossed this with 3/4  of a cauliflower & one Sliced Onion & finished it with a drizzle of Roasted Sesame oil.  Bake at 400 for about 1/2 hour.

We also roasted Brussell Sprouts & Radishes. Just toss With Olive Oil , garlic, Salt , Pepper & maybe a bit of flavoured Vinegar.  Radishes are actually Sweet when roasted. give them a try.

With the leftover Cauliflower heat it up and cook for a bit in Chicken(or Veggie) broth then Blend it for a soup with a major taste explosion. 

This is a ridiculously healthy and satisfying meal.  You won't miss the Meat. Trust me , give it a try. Go play with your own spice box.

No comments:

Post a Comment