Lately I have really been wanting Mjadra (http://www.discoverlebanon.com/en/recipes/lentil_rice_pilaf.php), but my brain got ahold of the concept and went nuts with it. I wanted veggies involved and we had some ground lamb that needed to be used. My thanks go out to Julie who is out in the kitchen cooking this for me(I chopped the veggies). It smells delicious. We have bread with Zaatar (http://mideastfood.about.com/od/middleeasternspicesherbs/r/zaatar.htm) on it just in case we need more food.
Update( It turned out wonderfully all these wonderful flavors blended together, but each standing out)
Lentils & Rice w/Lamb
1lb Ground Lamb
2 cups lentils
2 cups Rice
2 1/2 large onions Sliced(Caramelized)
1/2 large Onion Diced
3 carrots Chopped
3 stalks Celery Chopped
2 red peppers chopped
8 oz mushrooms sliced
Olive Oil & Butter
Red & Black seasoning (Penzy's Cayenne & Black pepper)
Sezhuan pepper & Salt to taste
- Slice onions & cook with olive oil & butter over low heat until onions are deep brown.
- brown ground Lamb with garlic, cumin & Black & red spice.
- add celery, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, diced onions & a bit of Olive oil for a few minutes. Add tomatoes, 4 Cups Broth/ water & lentils. Cook for 15 min on Med heat. (add more water if needed for rice)
- Add Rice & cover. Cook for 15 min.
- Serve with Caramelized onions on top.
- put a bit of spinach in your Bowl and spoon the hot Lentil/Rice on top and stir. The Spinach should wilt a bit