Friday, February 3, 2012

I did it ---- Chicken Stew

I actually sat in my kitchen & participated in making a meal.  Tony cleaned the kitchen a bit then put away Groceries so that there would be Space for me and the Kitchen Chair. 

Earlier I had inventoried the big freezer and pulled out a bag of Turkey Broth & a package of Chicken thighs.  I decided I was gonna cook tonight.  
Well it was my vision and I did the chopping .  Considering its the first time since August that I have been able to get in my kitchen, I am happy with that as a start.

My Vision was a chicken Stew with fresh egg noodles in it.  We had Potatoes instead of noodles and it was perfect.  So comfort foody.  Dumplings would also be perfect with this.  I like the Bisquik dumplings with a bit of Sage added.

Chicken stew

6 boneless skinless chicken thighs

6 cups chicken Broth (we used home-made Turkey stock that was in the freezer.

Roughly chop:
3 Stalks Celery
3 Carrots
1 Onion

8-10 baby Red Potatoes (halved)
1 small or 1/2 large bag of frozen Peas

Feel free to throw in other veggies that you like Turnips, parsnips, squash & or kale would be great too.


Spices
Garlic Powder
Toasted onion powder (Penzy's)
Dried Sage
Salt /Fresh ground pepper
Butter/Olive Oil


Heat Olive Oil & Butter in a large heavy pan.
Season Chicken with onion /garlic Powder, sage & salt & pepper.

Cook Chicken until Brown on all sides.  Remove Chicken to a plate.

Put Onions, celery & carrots in to cook for several minutes until they are softening.  (Mushrooms would be good added at this point.)

Add the Broth & chicken and let cook on Med Low for 30 minutes . 

Add Potatoes and cook till tender. Add Peas and cook for a few minutes.  If you want the broth to be thicker , you can add some Flour & Butter(that has been mushed together)

Serve with well buttered rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment